ingredients for steaks (serves 4):
1 1/2 Tbs olive oil
1 1/2 Tbs butter
2 large red onions (about 1 1/4 lbs), sliced thinly
3 Tbs brown sugar
3 Tbs balsamic vinegar
4 porterhouse steaks (2 lbs)--- we got 1 t-bone and cut it in half for the two of us
1/2 cup dry red wine
3/4 cup chicken stock
1/2 Tbs cold butter, chopped
1. heat oil and butter in large skillet; cook onions, stirring, until onions soften. add sugar and vinegar; cook stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes or until onions caramelize. cover to keep warm.
2. make blue cheese mashed potatoes.
3. cook beef, in batches, in heated large skillet until cooked to desired degree of doneness. cover beef; let stand for 10 minutes.
4. bring wine to a boil in same skillet; boil, uncovered, until reduced by half. add stock; return to boil. whisk in cold butter, piece by piece, until sauce is smooth.
5. divide beef, onions and mashed potatoes among serving plates; drizzle with sauce.
ingredients for mashed potatoes:
2 lbs russet potatoes, chopped coarsely
3 Tbs butter, softened
3/4 cup hot milk
3 1/2 oz firm blue cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh chives
directions for potatoes:
boil, steam or microwave potatoes until tender, drain. mash potatoes in large bowl with butter and milk, until smooth. fold in cheese and chives. cover to keep warm.
*courtesy of "best ever recipes" (thanks s&t!!)