makes 1 dozen
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a standard muffin tin with 12 cupcake liners; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In a small bowl, add milk and vanilla extract; stir to combine and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. With the mixer on low, add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add flour mixture in three parts, alternating with milk mixture; beat until just combined. Add cocoa powder and beat until just combined.
- Fill each muffin cup two-thirds full with batter. Transfer to oven and bake until a cake tester inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool in pans for two minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Transfer frosting to a pastry bag fitted with a large 5/8-inch round tip (such as Ateco No. 808). Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes and set aside.
- I used fondant, food coloring, and a heart cookie cutter for the little hearts. One can buy fondant in a package at a craft store in the baking aisle.
makes enough for 1 dozen cupcakes
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar (powdered sugar), sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- Place all ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; beat until well combined.